I've talked about the data hazards in a previous installment, now let's talk
about control hazards.
A control hazard is when we need to find the destination of a jump or a branch
and can't fetch any new instruction until this destination is known.
I'm currently working on the data multiplexer, the part that comes between
the CPU and the memory and is responsible for putting the right byte at the
right place, but I can't stop thinking about what comes next.
And let me tell you, there's still quite a lot of development …
These last few weeks, I've been working on implementing the CPU in
My initial intention was to stay as close as possible to what will be the
actual implementation, but in practice, it may not have been a good idea,
because it didn't always play well with the simulation …
I would like to go more into detail about each stage of the pipeline, what
they do and how they work. I know I said in the previous installment that I
would not go into the details of hazards, but it looks like I will need it
to document my …
Soon after my last post about Bidule88 in 2014, I realized that four breadboards would
definitely not be enough to complete the project. I quickly tore it down to restart from
scratch, this time on a much larger scale: two columns of seven breadboards each.
Several months ago, while casually browsing the web from link to link, I ended up on the
Veronica project page. I've played with
computers for some years now, but never thought I'd ever be able to actually
make one. That is, until I read Quinn's posts. Granted, she uses a …